Day 1 – Saturday: Tiny House Project Planning and Construction Basics for Tiny Houses
- Introduction to the Tiny House Movement and Communities
- What are tiny houses, how they are different from RVs and other mobile living
- Tiny House resources – books, other classes, blogs, etc.
- Locating a Site – Building and Living Concerns
- Construction site logistics: storage, security, bulk purchasing, delivery, weather
- Moving and siting tiny houses
- Plans, Planning and customizing designs
- Tiny House Project Scheduling (you will get both a binder with resources and a project planning template for use online to plan your tiny house project).
- Trailers – purchasing, customization, loads ratings, registration, delivery.
- Building the Shell – Doors, windows, and framing
- Exterior finishes and weather protection
- Utility Rough-in
- Insulation options and concerns
- Interior Finishes and Kitchen and Bathroom Layout
- Tiny House Appliances and Systems
- Exterior Considerations – Decks, Rainwater and gray water
Day 2 – Sunday : Hands-on tiny spaces design class and tour 4 tiny houses
- Reading and understanding basic architectural plans
- Tiny House Design workshop using Google Sketch-up
- you will receive a base design from which to start designing your own project.
- We have intentionally limited this workshop’s participants so that there will be adequate time for you to consult with the architect and builder on your own project.
- *If you won’t be bringing a laptop with you and prefer to work on your design on paper, please let us know in advance.
- Tour 4 different tiny houses at Boneyard Studios and talk with their builders and designers.
- Learn about various construction and design options: framing: SIPs panels versus standard stick framing, flat roofs versus gabled roofs, off- grid versus on-grid systems, wider versus standard-width tiny houses, units with lofts versus no lofts, different insulation options, various water and septic options.